Under the component of Technology and Digitization in the framework for making Sri Lanka a rich country by the year 2025, it is necessary to set out strategies in view of becoming competitive in the global arena by harnessing the power of digital and other emerging technologies, and to move forward towards a digitally-empowered economy as a nation. The improved digital ecosystems shall pave the way for transactions taking place under low costs, inclusive growth, and generation of new employment opportunities through the uplift of small and medium enterprises and self-employment.
– The Government’s Economic Vision, V 2025 A Country Enriched.
The Information and Communication Technology has been proliferating in the present era, unlike in the past. The far-reaching benefits enjoyed by modern society therefrom have been the main reason for the ICT to rapidly develop throughout the globe. In order to improve the quality of public service through the utilization of Information and Communication Technology, the Western Provincial Council performs its daily functions efficiently and promptly with emphasis on time management through the utilization of state-of-the-art Information Technology; as such, it’s time for the Provincial Public Service to undergo a profound process of revolution. For the fulfillment of the objectives of the modern society by assisting the realization of the future targets of the Government, it is our prime objective to transform the Western Provincial Public Service into a beneficiary of Information Communication Technology.
Western Provincial Information Technology Resource Development Institution was established on2000.02.03 under the Statute, No. 06 of 2000 of the Information Technology Resource Development to use the information and data efficiently and effectively, to carry out the functions and tasks of the subjects assigned to the Western Provincial Council, to regulate and expand the development of analysis of systems and methods, the IT education and the activities related to that, to provide the benefits of the IT development for the people and to arrange the provisions for the matters relevant to that.
The Institution was brought under purview of the Western Provincial Ministry of Education, Cultural & Arts, Sports & Youth Affairs & Information Technology with effect from 2015.09.18 and under the provisions of the Statute, No. 01 of 2017 of the Information Technology Resource Development in the Western Province, the Institution had been established with more powers under the name of Western Provincial Information Technology Resource Development Authority with effect from 2017.09.12
Objectives of the Authority are as follows.
(1) Providing government services through internet and other new technologies to public by establishing information and communication technology services and implementing
e-government policy of the Province.
(2) Planning, development, establishment and maintenance of information and communication technology projects relevant to the Province.
(3) Installing software systems to improve service efficiency of Provincial Council and to automate processes.
(4) Creating websites and networks for ministries, departments and institutions of Provincial Council.
(5) Establishment and management of information communication technology infrastructure for all the institutions of Provincial Council.
(6) Providing computer education and training to officers of the Provincial Council.
(7) Taking necessary measures to popularize knowledge on information and communication technology subject and computer science of the Province.
(8) Providing technological counseling services and other assistances to institutions engaged in affairs related information and communication technology resources development within the province.
(9) Providing services to private sector or other institutions expecting Authority’s service with regard to information communication technology by charging a fee.
Powers of the Authority are as follows.
(1) Purchasing, take or give on lease or hire, mortgage, sell or otherwise dispose of any moveable or immovable property for the purpose of discharging Authority’s objectives and functions.
(2) To enter into contracts and agreements required for the implementation of the Authority’s powers and activate Authorities objectives.
(3) Creating a separately functioning business entity capable of implementing information communication technological projects under the Authority and recruiting experts in information and communication technology on permanent and assignment basis and making payments to them as decided by the Management Board by utilizing the revenue earned through the said projects.
(4) To levy and charge fees for the services provided by the Authority to Provincial Council or to external parties under the recommendation of the management.
(5) Conducting research relating to development affairs in the information and communication technology field, assisting such researches, coordinating and encouraging them.
(6) Maintaining training affairs and educational affairs on entrepreneur skills relevant to Information Technology field, implementation of programs to extend knowledge and information by way of training programs, seminars, conferences, workshops and study tours.
(7) Maintaining sub-officers and centers required for the Authority on prior approval of the minister.
(8) Formulation of administrative and financial rules enabling accomplishment of objectives stated in above Section 9.
(9) Drafting service orders for Authority’s employees, their performance appraisal and taking remedial measures required.
(10) Purchasing machines, plants and equipment required to achieve the objectives of the Authority.
(11) In accordance to National and Provincial Council policies, obtaining funds, technological expertise knowledge or other aid.
(12) Investing a certain amount of Authority’s money opportunely, on the approval of minister in charge of Finance.